BIBLICAL RESEARCH PRINCIPLES
Knowing This First
All Scripture interprets itself:
- In the verse:
- Right where it is written.
- A word or words must be interpreted according to Biblical usage.
- The words must be in harmony with the verse as well as with all the scriptures relating to the subject.
- Scripture build-up; narrative development.
- In the context.
- Used before.
Biblical truths we must adhere to as workmen:
- Get "to whom" addressed correct -- administrations.
- Difficult verse must be understood in light of the clear verses.
- Interpretation and application are always with respect to whom it is addressed.
Seven steps to Biblical accuracy:
- The individual word must be understood.
- The words must fit in the verse.
- The verse must fit with the immediate context.
- The immediate context must flow with the remote context.
- The words must be understood in light of to whom it is written.
- The words must be understood in light of orientalisms, customs, and mannerisms.
- The words must be understood in light of figures of speech.
Reading for understanding:
Ask yourself, "What is this verse saying?" To better understand what it is saying, ask yourself five other questions.
- What is it not saying?
- What is the opposite of what it is saying?
- What is unusual about the way in which it is said?
- What did it mean to the believers "to whom" it is addressed?
- What does it mean to the believers today?